BRAC Opens Applications for Diversity in Business Award
New Diversity Star Award to recognize regional businesses for advancing the goals of diversity and inclusion
Baton Rouge, La. (February 15, 2018) – The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) today announced details of a new Diversity Star Award to spotlight and honor regional businesses that champion diversity and inclusion. Applications for the 2018 Diversity Star Award are open through March 15 at brac.org/diversitystar.
Cheri Ausberry, chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee and director of community development and governmental affairs at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, said “I encourage businesses to apply for this award, not only for a chance to win, but just as importantly, to share their best practices with the regional business community.”
A selection of members from BRAC’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee will participate in a judges’ panel to oversee the evaluation, selection, and presentation of the Diversity Star Award.
“This award is a great addition to our annual diversity in business summit to recognize excellence in management who focus intentionally on diversity strategies,” said Adam Knapp, president and CEO of BRAC. “We are excited to announce this award and to recognize businesses that are embracing best practices here in the Baton Rouge Area.”
The number of winners will be determined based on the quality and quantity of applications received. To qualify for the Diversity Star Award, businesses must be a Member or Investor of BRAC.
Additional award criteria include:
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in business and community through a statement of values or demonstrated track record.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their management structure, board makeup, and company culture, including processes for career progression and promotion.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their workforce through company goals and efforts to recruit, retain and nurture a culturally diverse workforce.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in the marketplace through company goals and efforts in procurement practices that reflect a diverse vendor and supply chain.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity within their community through active support and collaboration with area initiatives to improve and recognize diversity in the Capital Region.
Applications for the 2018 Diversity Star Award will be accepted until Thursday, March 15. Awards will be presented at BRAC’s diversity in business event to be held on May 9.
To apply, or to get more information on the award, visit brac.org/diversitystar.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge Area, working to grow jobs and wealth and to improve the business climate and competitiveness in the region. Today, BRAC investors include more than 1,500 small businesses, mid-sized firms, large industry and entrepreneurial startups, as well as individuals and organizations that support business and economic development. In this capacity, BRAC serves as the voice of the business community, providing knowledge, access, services and advocacy. More information is available at brac.org.