Year-over-year BLS job growth data shows Baton Rouge tied with Austin
Baton Rouge, LA (August 15, 2023) – Baton Rouge ranked as a top ten fastest growing metro according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released year-over-year job growth data for the 100 largest metros. With 4.4% year-over-year jobs growth, Baton Rouge tied with Austin, TX in the eighth spot, placing above Charlotte, NC. The data can be viewed directly here.
“This recent data report solidifies Baton Rouge as the state’s jobs engine,” said Andrew Fitzgerald, BRAC senior vice president of business intelligence. “Over the last decade, the Capital Region has consistently reported the highest job growth numbers in Louisiana, and over the last year we’ve competed alongside larger metros such as Austin and Charlotte. Diversifying our job opportunities is key to BRAC’s five-year strategic plan as it makes our region more competitive for business and talent retention and attraction. There is more work to do, but this data shows that we are on the right track.”
The top ten of the 100 largest metros, ranked by year-over-year job growth:
- Charleston-North Charleston, SC (6.3%)
- Jacksonville, FL (5.1%)
- Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR (5.1%)
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX (5.0%)
- Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV (4.7%)
- Boise City, ID (4.6%)
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX (4.6%)
- Baton Rouge, LA (4.4%)
- Austin-Round Rock, TX (4.4%)
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC (4.3%)
BRAC’s monthly Economic Indicator Dashboard expounds on job numbers for the Capital Region. Key findings in recently released dashboards include:
- Baton Rouge’s manufacturing sector hit an all-time high with 30,900 jobs in June;
- Construction jobs in the Capital Region hit a 14% year-over-year increase with 6,500 new jobs; and,
- The 17,600 year-over-year jobs growth has been driven by the private sector.
The dashboards, which examine and analyze the state of the regional economy, can be found at brac.org/research.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) is an aggressively ambitious regional economic development organization with a bias for action. BRAC seeks to push Baton Rouge beyond the status quo, unleash its potential, and support a vibrant business community that believes the finish line does not exist. BRAC seeks to accelerate economic opportunity in the Baton Rouge Area, for everyone, through BRING IT! Baton Rouge, its five-year, regional strategic plan. Learn more about BRAC at brac.org.