BRAC Announces InternBR 2020 Summer Virtual Series
Initiative to target Capital Region student interns for professional development
Baton Rouge, La. (June 30, 2020) – The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) today announced the return of InternBR, an initiative of its Talent Development department designed to provide area student interns with professional development focused on leadership and communication skills. To abide by social distancing guidelines, this year the program will be conducted through a virtual platform. The InternBR 2020 Summer Virtual Series is presented by Gallagher.
“Attracting and retaining top talent in the Baton Rouge Area is one of the core objectives of our strategic plan,” said Maggi Spurlock, BRAC director of talent development. “And with COVID-19 disrupting colleges, internships and students’ job searches, it is more important than ever for us to help students navigate these tough waters by prepping them with the professional skills necessary to land a job in the region.”
The eight-session virtual series will take place each Tuesday and Thursday in July and will include professional development lessons on effective communication, goal setting, navigating crucial conversations, translating skills on a resume, and more. The schedule includes:
- Finding Your Career Path in BR, Tuesday, July 7, Noon – 1 p.m.
- Tips for Working Virtually, Thursday, July 9, Noon – 1 p.m.
- Tips and Tricks to Be Your Most Productive Self, Tuesday, July 14, Noon – 1 p.m.
- How to Successfully Navigate Crucial Conversations in the Workplace, Thursday, July 16, Noon – 1 p.m.
- Communicate Your Way to the Top, Tuesday, July 21, Noon – 1 p.m.
- Goal Set Your Way to Success, Thursday, July 23, Noon – 1 p.m.
- My Internship is Over, Now What?, Tuesday, July 28, Noon – 1 p.m.
- Career Advice from BR’s Movers & Shakers, Thursday, July 30, Noon – 1 p.m.
The program is free for students with summer internships in the Capital Region. Businesses in the Baton Rouge Area are encouraged to have their summer student interns participate. Registration for each session and more information can be found at brac.org/internbr.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge Area, working to grow jobs and wealth and to improve the business climate and competitiveness in the region. Today, BRAC investors include more than 1,400 small businesses, mid-sized firms, large industry and entrepreneurial startups, as well as individuals and organizations that support business and economic development. In this capacity, BRAC serves as the voice of the business community, providing knowledge, access, services and advocacy. More information is available at brac.org.