BRAC Opens Applications for Diversity in Business Award
Diversity Star Award to recognize regional businesses for advancing the goals of diversity and inclusion
Baton Rouge, La. (February 14, 2019) – The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) today announced it is now accepting applications for its Diversity Star Award to spotlight and honor regional businesses that champion diversity and inclusion. The award application process is open to all businesses in the nine-parish Capital Region regardless of size or whether the business is a BRAC investor. Applications for the 2019 Diversity Star Award are open through March 15 at brac.org/diversitystar.
Cheri Ausberry, chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee and director of community development and governmental affairs at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, said “I encourage businesses to apply for this award, not only for a chance to be recognized, but also to showcase and highlight their best practices of economic and corporate inclusion, which will enhance and strengthen the Baton Rouge business community.”
A selection of members from BRAC’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee will participate in a judges panel to oversee the evaluation, selection, and presentation of the Diversity Star Award.
“It’s important that we take the time to recognize those business leaders who are walking the walk when it comes to diversity and inclusion practices,” said Adam Knapp, president and CEO of BRAC. “Success in this arena takes intentionality and persistence, and we are looking forward to once again celebrating businesses in the Baton Rouge Area that are exemplifying progress.”
A winner will be selected in both a small and large business category.
Nominees will be evaluated on their Capital Region operations and activities through the following criteria:
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in business and community through a statement of values or demonstrated track record.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their management structure, board makeup, and company culture, including processes for career progression and promotion.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their workforce through company goals and efforts to recruit, retain and nurture a culturally diverse workforce.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in the marketplace through company goals and efforts in procurement practices that reflect a diverse vendor and supply chain.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity within their community through active support and collaboration with area initiatives to improve and recognize diversity in the Capital Region.
Applications for the 2019 Diversity Star Award will be accepted until Friday, March 15. Awards will be presented at BRAC’s diversity in business event to be held on May 7.
Honorees recognized in 2018 were Civil Solutions Consulting Group in the small business category and Republic Services of Baton Rouge in the large business category.
To apply, or to get more information on the award, visit brac.org/diversitystar.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge Area, working to grow jobs and wealth and to improve the business climate and competitiveness in the region. Today, BRAC investors include more than 1,500 small businesses, mid-sized firms, large industry and entrepreneurial startups, as well as individuals and organizations that support business and economic development. In this capacity, BRAC serves as the voice of the business community, providing knowledge, access, services and advocacy. More information is available at brac.org.