Award to recognize regional businesses for advancing the goals of diversity and inclusion
Baton Rouge, La. (February 17, 2020)– The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) today announced it is accepting applications for its Diversity Star Award to spotlight and honor regional businesses that champion diversity and inclusion. The award application process is open to all businesses in the nine-parish Capital Region regardless of size or whether the business is a BRAC investor. Applications for the 2020 Diversity Star Award are open through March 13 at brac.org/diversitystar.
“It is exciting to see the many innovative programs and initiatives that companies across the Capital Region are implementing to advance inclusion in their organizations,” said Eric Dexter, chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee and director of business development for Civil Solutions Consulting Group. “I encourage companies of all sizes, and from all parishes in the region, to apply for this award.”
A selection of members from BRAC’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee will participate in a judges panel to oversee the evaluation, selection, and presentation of the Diversity Star Award.
“BRAC is proud to champion diversity and inclusion on behalf of the business community, and to elevate that conversation through the Diversity Star Award and the annual Diversity in Business event,” said Adam Knapp, president and CEO of BRAC. “We look forward to celebrating standout corporate citizens that have embraced the truth that diversity drives progress.”
Applicants will be evaluated on their Capital Region operations and activities through the following criteria:
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in business and community through a statement of values or demonstrated track record.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their management structure, board makeup, and company culture, including processes for career progression and promotion.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in their workforce through company goals and efforts to recruit, retain and nurture a culturally diverse workforce.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity in the marketplace through company goals and efforts in procurement practices that reflect a diverse vendor and supply chain.
- Candidates should demonstrate support for diversity within their community through active support and collaboration with area initiatives to improve and recognize diversity in the Capital Region.
Applications for the 2020 Diversity Star Award will be accepted until Friday, March 13. Awards will be presented at BRAC’s Diversity in Business event on May 12.
Honorees recognized in 2019 were Lighthouse Louisiana in the small business category and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana in the large business category.
To apply, or to get more information on the award, visit brac.org/diversitystar.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge Area, working to grow jobs and wealth and to improve the business climate and competitiveness in the region. Today, BRAC investors include more than 1,400 small businesses, mid-sized firms, large industry and entrepreneurial startups, as well as individuals and organizations that support business and economic development. In this capacity, BRAC serves as the voice of the business community, providing knowledge, access, services and advocacy. More information is available at brac.org.