Guidelines and resources available at brac.org/recovery
Baton Rouge, La. (March 13, 2020) – The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) today announced it has opened a survey designed to gather the impact of COVID-19 on local businesses and the regional economy. The survey, and recommendations and resources for businesses, is available at brac.org/recovery.
“The impacts of COVID-19 are requiring businesses to adjust practices,” said Adam Knapp, president and CEO of BRAC. “We encourage businesses to put a plan in place, communicate that plan clearly with employees, clients and vendors, and remain informed as the situation develops. Taking the survey will help us understand how businesses are responding, and evaluate impact on the regional economy.”
In addition to the survey link, brac.org/recovery houses guidance for businesses and employers from the CDC, resources from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and information on low-interest federal disaster loans available from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). The SBA’s program provides qualifying small businesses with working capital loans of up to $2 million that can provide vital economic support to help overcome temporary loss of revenue.
A summary of recommended guidelines for businesses include:
- Establish personal hygiene practices for all employees that are consistent with CDC guidance, regarding topics such as handwashing, surface cleaning, and social distancing
- Review and update employee travel, internal and external meeting policy to determine which are necessary and which can be handled remotely
- Review office sick leave policies to determine if any changes need to be made
- Prepare a remote work plan and capabilities, in writing, for all employees for whom that practice is possible and necessary
- Prepare and share with teams self-quarantine policy or office closure policy, in writing
Additionally, The Baton Rouge Area Foundation has established an emergency relief fund to help people in Louisiana who are affected by the current public health emergency. Businesses and individuals in a position to donate are encouraged to do so.
About the Baton Rouge Area Chamber
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge Area, working to grow jobs and wealth and to improve the business climate and competitiveness in the region. Today, BRAC investors include more than 1,400 small businesses, mid-sized firms, large industry and entrepreneurial startups, as well as individuals and organizations that support business and economic development. In this capacity, BRAC serves as the voice of the business community, providing knowledge, access, services and advocacy. More information is available at brac.org.