BRAC produces an economic indicator dashboard as part of our business recovery priorities. The dashboard examines and assesses the impact of COVID-19 on the regional economy, taking into account a number of data points to illustrate the economy’s current state, and to keep businesses informed as it begins to steady and rebound.
Key findings from this week’s dashboard include:
- Although there have been consecutive months of job growth, the Capital Region is still down over 10% since the start of the pandemic;
- Retail fuel sales and hotel occupancy have shown strong rebounds compared to their 2019 levels over the last month;
- Total weekly unemployment claims have stagnated at a significantly high level, as a number of businesses remain closed;
- Consumer spending has rebounded from late-March lows, but small business revenue is still down in some large parishes;
- Compared to peer cities, Baton Rouge’s economic recovery is in the middle of the pack for most major metrics.