Live Capitalized: A Lovely Capital Region Weekend
You know what has our hearts skipping a beat? The fact that Valentine’s Day is on a Friday! With a full weekend free to spend with your loved ones or to treat yourself, be sure to schedule plans now to maximize your fun.
- Get away with your significant other. Plan a little Valentine’s weekend getaway with your loved one by booking a stay at a local Airbnb or hotel. Visit a bed and breakfast in St. Francisville, a cozy cabin on False River or a peaceful bungalow on the bayou.
- Celebrate with your friends. Grab some friends and check out the Capital Region’s newest hot spots! Swing by Sugarfield Spirits, the newest distillery in Gonzales, for a rum tasting. Then dine on delicious food from one of Baton Rouge’s coolest restaurants (we suggest you try BLDG 5 or Rouj Creole).
- Go adventuring with your family. For a fun-filled Valentine’s Day adventure, pack up the family to hike, bike, and kayak at Tickfaw State Park for the day. Or, you can rent a cozy cabin and stay the whole weekend. For a quick nature adventure in the Capital Region, check out Tunica Hills in St. Francisville.
Flavor of the Week: Teas, Slushes, Milkshakes...Oh My!
Zero Degrees is the newest addition to the Northgate area of LSU and it’s already got our taste buds watering! Serving up an array of teas, slushes, and milkshakes, the shop offers a large selection of options to pick from. Fan favorites include the “mangonada,” a mango slush with a hint of sweetness and spice, and the split cup, an option that allows guests to have two drinks in one! If you are looking for more than just a drink, Zero Degrees also offers chicken (popcorn or tenders), elotes (including XXTRA hot Cheetos topping) and flavored fries.
Snap a picture of your mangonada, flaming hot Cheetos elotes or any other Zero Degrees delicacy, and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: STUPP Corporation Junior Project Engineer
STUPP Corporation is hiring a junior project engineer to oversee and manage small-scale capital expenditures. This individual will work closely with vendors and contractors to produce final drawings and a final product, including installation and commissioning. A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited college or university is preferred, with a strong preference for mechanical and electrical engineers.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email email@example.com.
My Baton Rouge: One-Stop Shop for Local Goods
Local apparel company Sweet Baton Rouge just announced a web version of its popular seasonal Local Pop-Up store. On the site, patrons can shop all their favorite local Baton Rouge makers in one place. It ensures everyone has easy access to locally made Baton Rouge merchandise. Products offered include everything from artwork to honey to accessories to clothing to soap and more.
Shopping and supporting local makers, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out on the Town
- Baton Rouge Arts Market, February 1, browse artwork from over 70 artists from the southern states creating pottery, woodworks, sculptures and jewelry
- Mid-City Makers Market, February 8, stock up on last-minute Valentine’s Day gifts from local makers at the Valentine’s Edition of MMM
- Mystic Krewe of Mutts, February 9, celebrate Mardi Gras season (and of course dogs) with a parade dedicated entirely to our four-legged best friends
- Randazzo’s Wine Tasting in Denham Springs, February 12, enjoy a free wine tasting as a part of Randazzo’s monthly wine tasting series aimed to teach patrons about Italian wines
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.