Live Capitalized: The ABCs of School Prep
Wait a minute! Didn’t summer just start?? We are having a hard time believing school starts back in a few short weeks…sigh. While you’re soaking up the last few days of sweet summertime, here’s a few ABCs of school prep we pulled together.
- Awake without tantrums with these tips to achieve better sleep habits.
- Brown bag lunches don’t have to be boring. Check out this list of 50 back to school lunch ideas.
- Crayons, notebooks, and glue sticks…oh my (pocketbook). Here’s an exhaustive list of back to school events and giveaways and a list of some deals on school supplies.
Flavor of the Week: Soji
Soji, the newest restaurant to join the Baton Rouge food scene, is the talk of the town. Located in Mid City on Government St., the restaurant received an outpouring of love during its soft opening and it shows no signs of stopping. Asian fusion cuisine that’s as beautiful as it is delicious and a cool, funky space to match – it’s definitely insta-worthy! Speaking of insta moments, ladies – make sure you take a selfie in the bathroom (weird recommendation, but just trust us).
With a menu that explores Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, and other flavor profiles, Soji is bringing something unique to the Baton Rouge Area. Try offerings like wagyu beef dumplings and Indian butter chicken, or might we suggest a big bowl of shoyu ramen…So. Many. Choices.
Be sure to tag your Soji pictures with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on our blog.
Workin’ It: Director of Donor & Volunteer Engagement
Louisiana State University’s Foundation is currently seeking a director of donor and volunteer engagement to implement a comprehensive engagement program to support the principle gifts and leadership volunteer arms of the LSU Foundation. Specific duties and responsibilities include strategic development, crafting principal gift engagement plans, volunteer management and team supervision.
The ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree and has a minimum of five years of experience in a development, nonprofit or university setting. At least two years of direct supervisory experience is required. Project management experience as well as proficiency in philanthropic fund management is preferred.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about the talent development program or to advertise an open position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: Denton Graham
When you think Baton Rouge, do you think world-class engineering? Because you should. Situated next to downtown Baton Rouge along the Mississippi River is the massive urban development project best known as The Water Campus. The campus is a collaborative space for researchers to come together and create innovative solutions for coastal issues. Amongst all of this world-class research sits Denton Graham.
Denton is currently a master’s candidate in Louisiana State University’s Coastal & Ecological Engineering Program. This Baton Rouge young professional gets a front-row seat and hands-on view at the LSU Center for River Studies, which houses a physical scale model of the lower Mississippi River. Learn more about how Denton is making waves and finding his footing as an engineer in Baton Rouge on the BRAC blog.
Hardworking and ambitious young professionals, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- The Way of Water Exhibit, August 1 – September 22, head out to Livingston Parish for an art gallery honoring one of Earth’s greatest natural resources
- Vaudeville at Louisiana Culinary Institute, August 2, experience a variety of acts including belly dancing, sword swallowing, and opera singing, all while enjoying a three course meal
- Summer Uncorked for our Furry Friends, August 2, eat, drink, and be merry for a great cause at Forum 35’s Uncorked, benefiting Friends of the Animals Baton Rouge
- Back 2 School N Style, August 5, prepare for the new semester and step up your style all at once with Lamar Dixon’s free event
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.