Live Capitalized: Beat the Back to School Blues
We can’t believe it’s already that time again. If the pile-up of school supplies at your local Walmart hasn’t clued you in, it’s time to prep for the start of school. We’ve got everything you need to have a stress-free, fun-filled, back-to-school season.
- Check out this list of the many back-to-school events happening in the Capital Region. We’re talking free backpacks, school supply giveaways and more!
- Are the kids tired of turkey or ham sandwiches for lunch every day? Try these creative (and healthy!) recipes perfect for lunchtime. And be sure to pack it in a stylish lunchbox – your kid will be the envy of all in the cafeteria.
- Uniforms don’t fit anymore? Don’t throw them out! Instead, consider donating them to your local back-to-school drive. It’s a simple way to give back to your community.
- Juggling work and school drop-off and pick-up can be hard. Sign up for the YMCA’s Before and After School Care program to give you an extra hand while balancing your many responsibilities.
- Don’t let the back-to-school season zap the last bit of summer you have left! Make the most of it by treating the kids to a few more outings. Check out activities at the East Baton Rouge Library or spend a day at the Knock Knock Museum, not only will the kids enjoy, but so will you!
Flavor of the Week: Appetizing Acai Bowls
With the heat still kicking well into the school year, a refreshing lunch is a must! We suggest trying a newly popular dish in the Capital Region – an acai bowl. The acai berry gives each bowl a brilliant purple color and comes packed with health benefits.
With an acai base, each bowl is customizable with mix and match toppings to create a uniquely delicious meal. Head to LSU’s campus for a PB&J Bowl at Frutta Bowls, which is decked out with bananas, granola, blueberries, and, of course, peanut butter. Find your closest location of The Big Squeezy to try out the Tiger Bowl, which includes blueberries, strawberries, banana, acai berries, granola, flaked coconut, and a sweet agave syrup. Looking for something even sweeter? Head to Playa Bowls for a Nutella Bowl filled with bananas, strawberries, coconut flakes, and, you guessed it, a decadent drizzle of Nutella. If you like the idea of building your own bowl, head to Denham Springs for the newly-opened O Poke. They have poke bowls as well as a build-your-own acai bowl option.
Snap a picture of your colorful fresh eats and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Legal Secretary
Jones Walker LLP is seeking a Legal Secretary to provide administrative and legal support in the Corporate & Securities practice. Responsibilities include drafting correspondence to clients, typing and formatting agreements, maintaining the office’s filing system, proofing attorney time for billing, and several other duties. A college degree is preferred as well as proficiency in the Microsoft suite.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email email@example.com.
My Baton Rouge: Football Season Food Prep
Get the first taste of football season with the 17th Annual Taste of Tiger Tailgating event at Lamar Dixon Expo Center. This highly-anticipated event will take place on August 17 from 5-8 p.m. and includes food, drinks, live music, and shopping for all your tailgating essentials. No need to leave the kids at home, Silver Oaks Apartments has sponsored a Kids Zone so they can get in on the fun too.
Kicking off football season with fun for the whole family, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out on the Town
- Beautification Day, August 4, paint and garden at the Thrive Academy to help enhance the school’s campus
- Movie in the Park, August 9, grab the kids and head to the East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library for a free showing of Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
- Project River Cleanup, August 10, give back to the community by helping local partners clean up the Amite River
- Red Magnolia Theatre Company Fundraiser, August 22, sip on cocktails and enjoy a fun-filled show while raising money for a local theatre company
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.