Live Capitalized: Game On!
We’ve waited months. Our coolers have sat dormant, lawn chairs only taken out for a festival or two, foam fingers have not seen the light of day. But this week all of that will change. Football season is FINALLY here.
Prepare yourselves boys and girls, for we have not experienced an August kickoff in quite some time. You will need water, you will need a hat, you will need your most spirited heat-friendly outfit. We’ve got everything you need for a winning season:
- Hut One: You need the schedule. Get your calendar out. The Saints kick off first this week with a preseason game tonight at 7 p.m. against the Dolphins. Next, we’ve got Southern with a face-off at McNeese on Saturday at 6 p.m. Back in Baton Rouge LSU will face Georgia Southern in Death Valley at 6:30 p.m.
- Hut Two: You need the right gameday gear. Don’t forget a clear bag to make the entrance process a little easier. Local boutiques are stocked with the cutest lineup of heat-friendly outfits for Southern and LSU fans. Don’t forget that with great heat comes great responsibility. Lather on the sunscreen; try Supergoop from LSU alum Holly Thaggard.
- Hut Three: You need gameday fuel. This is a marathon and not a sprint. Stock up on the perfect tailgate treats and drinks to keep the fun going all night long. Check out this tell-all guide.
Flavor of the Week: Spanish Tapas, Sign Us Up
If you’re looking to experience a Spanish getaway you don’t have to look far. Baton Rouge’s newest restaurant Solera is bringing authentic Spanish dining to the Red Stick. Chef Nick Puletti, who grew up traveling to Spain to visit family, brings an array of offerings in the form of tapas. The appetizer–sized dishes allow guests to try a variety of different foods all at once. The Spanish authenticity doesn’t stop at the food though. They’ve got Spanish gins to pair with different tonics as well as Spanish wines and beers. Like any good Baton Rouge restaurant, they know the importance of a good brunch. Stop by on a Sunday to enjoy Solera’s trademark paella along with a delightful sangria.
Help welcome them to Baton Rouge at their grand opening on September 3!
Capture a shot of your tapas and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Director of Development
Manship Theatre at the Shaw Center for the Arts is seeking a director of development to lead the theatre’s fundraising and growth. Responsibilities include building and maintaining relationships with corporate sponsors, donors, and individual members of the theatre. A bachelor’s degree and three to five years of experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing, or sales is required.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: Mentoring the Next Generation of Leaders
Are you looking to give back to your community? Consider volunteering with the Baton Rouge Youth Coalition. You can volunteer in a variety of ways whether it be as a college mentor, freshmen/sophmore mentor, writing coach, or an academic tutor. Each position only requires 1-2 hours a week of time and makes a big difference in each child’s life.
Giving back to the future, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- Tunes and Trucks, August 30, enjoy local eats while listening to live music at Perkins Rowe
- Free First Sunday, September 1, check out the multiple museums in downtown Baton Rouge this weekend for free
- Art Market @ The Rum House, September 1, sip on some wine and support local artists at The Rum House
- Woodstock 50, September 7, celebrate the 50th anniversary of Woodstock at Perkins Rowe
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.