It seems like there’s less time this year for shopping, so we’ve got to kick it into high gear! No need to mess with shipping speeds, or worse, something getting lost in the mail. Stick to your local favorites for the perfect holiday gifts:
- Head to Mid City for the final Mid City Makers Market of the year. Happening on December 14 it’ll give you plenty of time to get all the gifts you need before the holiday parties get into full swing.
- Treat the special someone in your life to a day of pampering at Mercer Supply Co. Between grooming services and keratin treatments there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
- Give the gift that keeps on giving. A baking class from CounterspaceBR will guarantee sweet treats for days to come!
- Know someone far away that wants a taste of home? Send them a Lagniappe Box filled with the perfect combination of Louisiana staples.
Flavor of the Week: Back to Your Roots
The newest addition to Baton Rouge’s coffee scene is taking the Capital Region by storm. Located in the Electric Depot, City Roots is the first food vendor to open next to Red Stick Social in the newly bustling area. The new venture has the perfect pick me up for any part of the day whether it be a latte in the morning or a cocktail in the afternoon. You might notice something a little different from your average cup of joe at this place. City Roots has lattes on draft, a fun twist to the coffee bar mentality. The twists don’t stop there though. The owners of City Roots plan to roast small batches of their own beans as business picks up making their coffee truly homegrown.
Snap a picture of your Baton Rouge brew and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Business Intelligence Analyst
Woman’s Hospital is seeking a business intelligence analyst to create and maintain Microsoft SQL reports, SQL stored procedures and various custom defined databases to use with business intelligence applications. Responsibilities include gathering requirements, developing and designing datasets and rolling out custom SSRS reports and database solutions to end users. This position is also responsible for ensuring datasets are accurate and current. The position is full time with salary ranging from $25.20 to $36.54 an hour. A bachelor’s degree in computer design or experience designing and managing custom database applications is preferred.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: Bringing the Blues Back to Baton Rouge
Blues music is hitting a resurgence in the Capital Region. Red Stick Social announced it will partner with Chris Thomas King to revive his father’s legendary blues venue on its main stage. The rebranded “Tabby’s Blues Box” will host live performances and feature memorabilia from the original blues venue. In addition, Red Stick Social hopes to revive the traditional Thursday Night “HooDoo Parties” where Tabby himself used to take the stage. Check back in January for regional blues musicians and Chris Thomas King himself performing at Red Stick Social.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- Reindeer Run, December 6, take part in the latest 5K on the market while benefitting Baton Rouge’s young professional organization
- Festival of Lights, December 6, watch as downtown lights up the night sky for its annual holiday celebration
- Christmas on False River, December 7, celebrate the season with carnival rides, Santa pictures and a Christmas parade
- Tiger 10K, December 8, get a good run in with this annual 10K ending in Tiger Stadium
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.