During the ever-so-hectic holiday season, it’s nice to take a break from the chaos and admire the beautiful light displays around town. Bundle up, make some hot cocoa, and hop in the car with your loved ones to visit some of the Baton Rouge Area’s finest light shows.
- Lions and tigers and holiday cheer, oh my! BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo is hosting ZooLights, a mile-long trail decorated with holiday lights and illuminated sculptures until December 30. Want a little tip? Guests who bring in non-perishable food items to donate to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank will receive half-price admission.
- Decked in LED lights and holiday cheer, the Coca-Cola Santa truck is coming to Rouses in Denham Springs on December 21. Rumor has it that Santa will be making a special appearance.
- Baton Rouge General’s Holiday Lights display is back and better than before! The free musically synchronized display will be up for the community to enjoy through December 31.
- For a whole night of fun, featuring lights, bands, and food, head to the Westside Christmas Fest on December 20 or 21. Kids can ride through light displays on a train and meet Santa. The whole family can enjoy performances by the Chase Tyler Band, 90 Degrees West Band, and more.
Flavor of the Week: Community Vibes at BLDG 5
BLDG 5 is the newest restaurant concept to join the Perkins Overpass area. Transformed from an old metal shed to a delicious eatery, guests can dine on lunch, dinner, or take out options from the market. The lunch menu features a wide array of soups, salads and sandwiches, while the dinner menu features shareable plates and dinner boards intended to be split among groups of friends. A bar serving wine, beer, and select cocktails will also be open for dinner and happy hour. It’s the perfect spot for lunch dates and after-work happy hours.
Snap a picture of you and your friends’ dinner board and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Cajun Industries Carpenter
Cajun Industries is seeking a carpenter responsible for designing, building and repairing structures and other items of wood, plywood and wallboard. Applicants much have knowledge of advanced layout, simon forms, layout of anchor bolts, material takeoff from drawings and safety requirements. Responsibilities include reading and interpreting blueprints, instructing laborers and other helpers, inspecting areas, conducting repairs, and assisting other craft workers as needed.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email email@example.com.
My Baton Rouge: Holiday Cheer and Traditions
The Messenger Family Christmas display has long been a staple in Livingston Parish. The annual Christmas light display started as a family tradition by Clyde Messenger Jr. in the mid-1960s, and over time has transformed into a community spectacle. The display has grown to include snow machines, farm animals, and more. Want to check out the display? See it any day of the holiday season from 6 – 8 p.m.
Long-standing, beloved family traditions, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out on the Town
- Skating on the River, December 20- January 4, head to the Raising Cane’s River Center for ice skating
- Baton Rouge Arts Market, December 21, visit the market from 8 a.m. to noon to pick up those last-minute holiday gifts from local makers
- “The Polar Express” Planetarium Showing, December 21, catch the last showing at 4 p.m. at the Irene W. Pennington Planetarium (PJs are encouraged!)
- Bass Pro Santa Meet and Greet, December 24, take free pictures with Santa and participate in arts & crafts
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.