Live Capitalized: Love is in the Air
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and whether you’re planning to spend it with your sweetheart, gal pals or kiddos, the Capital Region has something for you.
- Get in the Valentine’s Day spirit with a showing of Love Letters at the Old Governor’s Mansion. Proceeds from the play will go toward Preserve Louisiana. And you’ll get delicious bites and champagne during intermission!
- Celebrate the season of love and friendship with your galentines this year. First head to FW Gallery on Highland on Tuesday, February 12 for galentine fun including special appearances from BR Succulent Co., Naturally So Ya Ya and more. Continue the fun on Wednesday, February 13 with Power Pump Girls at Provisions on Perkins for a Galentine’s Day Social.
- If you’re looking for love this Valentine’s Day, White Star Market is here to help. Sign up for Speed Dating Night for a night full of new people, new drinks and new fun!
Flavor of the Week: Valentine’s Day Supper Club
Treat yourself and someone you love to a gourmet dinner this Valentine’s Day at The Market at Circa 1857 with Country Roads Magazine for a delicious Italian dinner. The four-course meal, part of Country Roads’ Spring Supper Club series, will include handmade pastas, hors d’oeuvres, and cocktails galore. As if that wasn’t enough, the delectable food will also be accompanied by New Orleans jazz band Bon Bon Vivant to add the perfect romantic ambiance to the evening.
Making a reservation for you and your special someone? Don’t forget to tag your eats with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on our blog.
Workin’ It: Express Employment Professionals
Express Employment Professionals is seeking an outside sales representative to join its team. Primary responsibilities include cold calling, contacting potential customers, resolving customer inquiries, and setting up follow-up appointments to keep customers aware of developments. Detail-oriented individuals with strong negotiation skills are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will have connections within the community and an extensive knowledge of the area.
To apply, applicants are asked to submit their email to the hiring manager.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: World-Renowned Research
Baton Rouge is lucky to have one of the most well-known and respected research organizations right in its backyard – Pennington Biomedical Research Center. The center, which focuses on innovative research to improve human health, is making national headlines (once again) thanks to several initiatives, including the DASH Diet and a new app that will help the U.S. Army track its health.
The DASH Diet ranks No. 2 in the nation for Best Diets Overall, Best Diets for Diabetes and Best Diets for Healthy Eating. It also ranks No. 3 for Best Heart-Healthy Diets and No. 5 for Easiest Diets to Follow. The diet consists of eating foods that are low in sodium, saturated and total fat, and cholesterol, and focusing on eating foods that are high in potassium, calcium, fiber, magnesium and protein. Pennington’s diet has ranked as one of U.S. News & World Report’s best for nine years running!
After many years of development, Pennington is now introducing a wellness app that will help the U.S. Army track its health. Pennington’s Tiffany Stewart crafted Army H.E.A.L.T.H., an app that will give soldiers a personalized health and wellness road map to guide them in food, sleep and workout decisions. Stewart, a clinical psychologist and director of the behavioral health lab, dedicated 18 years of research to improving such health initiatives. The U.S. Army is expected to fully adopt the app by the end of the year and Pennington hopes to make it accessible to the public in the next few months.
World-renowned research and dedicated scientists, that is my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- The Baton Rouge Arts Market, February 2, browse the creative works of local makers at this monthly market
- Mid City Gras Ball, February 2, join the krewe of Mid City Gras for a ball to celebrating the Mardi Gras season
- Festival Del Vino, February 2, taste over 20 wines at the third annual Festival del Vino at Martin Wine Cellar in Baton Rouge
- Capital City Mac Fest, February 9, eat your heart out with over 10 different kinds of mac and cheese at this Baton Rouge festival
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.