Live Capitalized: May Your Days Be Merry and Bright
Whether it’s the traditional string light decorations on a house that rivals the Griswold home or a full-on light show accompanied with all of our favorite holiday tunes, we are dreaming of a merry and bright season.
Check out a few of our favorite Baton Rouge Area light displays:
- Caroling in the Park – Get in the holiday spirit with the park lighting ceremony and caroling at City-Brooks Community Park on December 10. Fun for the whole family, you can sing the night away to your favorite festive songs, roast marshmallows and watch the lighting ceremony.
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – Fill up your car with family or friends and visit this two-mile drive through a custom light display in Gonzales. Dance along to your car radio as the music is perfectly synchronized to the lights.
- ZooLights – Walk a one-mile path through the Baton Rouge Zoo to view larger-than-life illuminated animal sculptures. Visit on one of the zoo’s special dates to see either Safari Santa, Art Gone Wild or performances by the Ugandan Kids Choir.
- Reflections of the Season – Drive through the West Baton Rouge Conference Center grounds and view spectacular lights. Check the event calendar for the dates offering ice fishing, kids craft nights and a snow night!
- The Willows Winter Wonderland – In this community-created display in Denham Springs, you can walk through a homegrown wonderland of lights and holiday inflatables.
However you choose to spend the most wonderful time of the year, we hope it brings you joy!
Flavor of the Week: A Very Merry Afternoon Tea
For an enchanting holiday dining experience, Juban’s is serving Teddy Bear Tea on December 16 and 17 for all ages to enjoy. Dine on shrimp diablo and grits, pork grillades, biscuits with butter and jam, white chocolate bread pudding, tea cakes and more. There’s no need to dream of sugar plums when you can enjoy a menu like that!
If the treats aren’t enough to convince you, we’re sure good ol’ Saint Nick himself will! You’ll be able to visit with Santa Claus, listen to a chorus of carolers and hear stories from Mrs. Claus. Seats are sure to fill up quickly, so reserve your spots today.
Workin’ It: Director of Development
An area organization is currently seeking a director of development to secure fundraising that will support the vision and growth of the organization. Essential job functions include identifying new sources of funding, working to grow individual giving, overseeing all aspects of fundraising and donor cultivation events.
Requirements for the position include a Bachelor’s Degree and three to five years of experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing and/or sales. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated creative and strategic thinker with excellent communication and organizational skills.
Does this sound like a job for you? Send a resume to email@example.com.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about the job, employer or organization, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: Pups, Gifts and a Holiday Giveaway
Popular Instagram account @GeauxDowntownBR is hosting a Christmas Holiday Giveaway for the second time to bring awareness to a local organization, Companion Animal Alliance (CAA). Each day during the giveaway, @GeauxDowntownBR will feature a downtown restaurant, bar or other business that is giving away gift cards. To enter the giveaway, Instagrammers simply have to like the post, follow the respective business’s Instagram page and creatively comment who they will bring with them to that business if they win. Each post will also be accompanied with a snapshot of an adorable pup currently available for adoption at CAA. The goal is to get all of the month’s featured dogs adopted.
But wait, there’s more! @GeauxDowntownBR is challenging the participating businesses to donate $1 to CAA for every like their post receives. So, get to liking, because not only will you get a chance to win gift cards, you’ll also be helping out a good cause!
A giveaway that brings holiday cheer, food, puppies and gives back to the community?! That is my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- Gingerbread Workshop, December 10, decorate gingerbread cookies and sip on hot cocoa at Theatre Baton Rouge
- Creole Christmas & Holiday Fair, December 10, visit BREC’s Magnolia Mound Plantation for seasonal decorations, traditional songs sung in French and Spanish, period demonstrations, folk crafts and a bonfire
- Nutcracker: A Tale from the Bayou, December 16-17, enter a magical world of dancing azaleas and snow-covered oak trees in this Baton Rouge tradition
- Breakfast with Santa, December 16, enjoy a deluxe buffet breakfast, complete with delicious desserts and hot cocoa with a special visit from Santa
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.