Live Capitalized: Soak Up the Summer
It’s sad but true. We’ve only got one sweet, sweaty month left of summertime down south. How are you planning to make the most of it? We’ve got plenty of ideas as we daydream from our desktops. Check it out:
- Hit the road! Road trips are the heart of summertime. There’s nothing like piling the whole family into a van and driving across the country. With so little summer left, we suggest an easy-going day trip instead. Trek to Avery Island in Iberia Parish to visit the Jungle Gardens and the TABASCO Factory and Museum.
- Not much of a traveler? Stay close to home but still have fun with activities provided by the East Baton Rouge Parish Library. They’ve got everything from fitness classes to matinee movies and adult coloring. Check out Denham Springs for the best antique stores, Gonzales for a cool-down at Jambalaya Park, and St. Francisville for campsites at Tunica Hills.
- Try out some of those new recipes you’ve been eyeing all summer long. You can pick up the freshest of fresh ingredients at the Red Stick Farmer’s Market, which happens every Saturday!
- Still chipping away at your summer workout goals? Get in some exercise without breaking the bank at several free workout classes across the city. Head to White Star Market for a community run or bike ride. Join a recreational league to get in a good sweat while also indulging in your competitive side. Or swing by Tin Roof Brewery for Yoga on Tap!
Flavor of the Week: Rave Reviews for Rouj Creole
The minds that brought Baton Rouge City Pork and City Slice have a new brainchild for the Capital Region: Rouj Creole. The restaurant mixes traditional creole cuisine with worldlier tastes. Restaurant-goers can enjoy an array of oysters, crawfish etouffee, burgers decked out in hot sauce-marinated fried onions, and other creole creations. There’s more to Rouj Creole than meets the eye – they also offer The World’s Fare Menu which takes a deeper dive into exciting dishes like chicken marsala, seafood carbonara, and griot and pikliz.
Take a picture of your delectable cuisine and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Guaranty Media Marketing Director
Guaranty Media is seeking a Marketing Director to develop and implement the marketing and brand strategy of the Guaranty Corporation. Responsibilities include creating marketing plans for each of the company’s entities as needed, strengthening brand awareness of Guaranty Media, coordinating advertising campaigns, and more. A bachelor’s degree is required as well as 5+ years of relevant marketing experience and success in a senior marketing role. Familiarity with a broadcasting entity is preferred.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email email@example.com.
My Baton Rouge: ReactivateBR this Weekend
Looking for a way to give back to your community? Volunteer with ReactiveBR on Saturday, July 20. The initiative, brought forward by the Walls Project, Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome, Build Baton Rouge, and Mid City Redevelopment Alliance, will focus on blight remediation and reactivation. The effort also includes an art component to help beautify the area. This month’s event will hone in on the Plank Road and Choctaw Drive areas of the city.
Giving back right in your own backyard, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out on the Town
- Splash Day in the Park, July 20, take a trip to Port Allen for a day of food, music, games, and more
- Italian Heritage Fest, July 20, embrace the Capital Region’s Italian culture at this heritage fest
- Baton Rouge Irish Film Festival, July 27, enjoy a movie or two at this multi-day film festival
- Light Night, a White Wine Affair, July 27, give a toast to the weekend by tasting an array of white wines
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.