The Baton Rouge Area, also known as Louisiana’s Capital Region, is in the U.S Southeast in the heart of the Mississippi River Global Industrial Corridor. It is home to Louisiana’s State Capitol, Louisiana State University (LSU), Southern University, and international organizations such as, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, The Water Institute of the Gulf, and the Port of Greater Baton Rouge. With a population of 850,000, a diverse economy of approximately 400,000 workers, and over 52,000 post-secondary students in the region, the Baton Rouge Area offers something for everyone. As the most populous parish in Louisiana with over 440,000 residents, East Baton Rouge Parish and the city of Baton Rouge are Louisiana’s intersection of commerce, culture, and cuisine.
The Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) leads economic development in the nine-parish Baton Rouge metropolitan area. Serving as the voice of the business community, BRAC’s membership includes more than 1,500 organizations whose employees represent over a third of the Capital Region workforce.
BRAC is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual with a strong business and political acumen to serve as the Manager/Director, Business Development, East Baton Rouge (EBR) Parish. Serving as an extension of the Office of Mayor-President, the Metropolitan Council and EBR municipalities, this person will lead and support economic development for East Baton Rouge Parish. The ideal candidate will have a background in economic development, an initiative-taking and disciplined approach to business development, and the ability to foster trusting, inclusive engagement with the community.
This position is demanding and requires an individual that can exercise substantial independent judgment and decision making, with a high level of confidence and knowledge. The selected candidate must have keen attention to detail and strong verbal and written communication skills to ensure correspondence and reports are timely and accurate.
The position title given of Manager or Director will be determined based on experience. This position is a true utility position with the following expectations:
- Working with economic development professionals, local business leaders, and public officials, serve as the EBR Parish representative on business attraction and retention efforts with companies considering capital investment projects that add, expand and/or retain jobs and payroll for the parish
- Earn and maintain a positive and professional relationship with Mayor-President’s Office, Metropolitan Council, the cities of Baker, Central, and Zachary, and other stakeholders in EBR Parish and the region.
- Leveraging the team at BRAC, support EBR Parish economic development and community engagement in areas of retention and expansion of existing industry, growth and opportunities for women and minority-owned businesses, lead generation, marketing, real estate development, project management, providing business intelligence
- Support recruitment initiatives with economic partners, such as the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport flight services initiative, assisting the North Baton Rouge Economic Development District, or assisting Pennington Biomedical Center or The Water Institute with industry visits
- As the economic development lead for EBR Parish, regular reporting on the narrative and metrics of the above programs is required to be presented to Office of the Mayor-President, Metropolitan Council, BRAC committees/board and other stakeholders as needed
- Have a comprehensive understanding and the ability to effectively communicate the value proposition of EBR Parish’s community, workforce, economic assets, available real estate, state/local tax incentives and ecosystem to existing and prospective companies
- Manage a pipeline of business leads and projects through CRM database, maintaining confidentiality of client and organizational information as required, and responding to request for proposals with creative, competitive, and professional solutions in a timely manner
- Integrate other software/IT platforms to assist efforts, such as EMSI, Economic Impact Analysis, CRM (Salesforce), Sites databases (LACDB, Costar, LED sites database)
- Travel to meet with prospects, clients, consultants, some overnight travel will be required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- The ability to bring together individuals and organizations across the community that places East Baton Rouge Parish in the most competitive and compelling position with prospective and existing companies considering investment projects
- A self-starter with a curiosity for companies, their story, employees, and operations with the ability to relate how to help them succeed
- A proactive thinker, and entrepreneurial professional, requiring minimal supervision, maintaining a professional image and spirit of cooperation, teamwork, and communication
- Integration of technology/software platforms to supplement job duties
- A team player, working closely with corporate executives, community leaders and investors, local officials, state economic development professionals, and private-sector clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective and timely communication of relevant project information to superiors
- Able to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully
- Strong people skills
- Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations
- Easily interfaces with senior level executives
- Analytical capabilities (quantitative and qualitative)
- Familiarity with company analysis, including company financial documents
- Workforce, economic impact, site due diligence, incentives
- Ability to think strategically and tactically
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong advocacy skills
- Ability to meet internal and external colleague expectations effectively and professionally and positively represent the organization
- A desire to work within a diverse, collaborative, and driven professional environment
- Is timely, well-prepared, and able to facilitate meetings effectively
- Assures projects/leads continue to move forward despite potential obstacles
- Ability to multi-task, succeed under pressure, and effectively manage time and workload
- Skilled at pulling together diverse parties to contribute to development of final content deliverables
- 5 years successful experience in a field related to economic development, management consulting, or business development
- Strong track record of business and economic development-related experience
- Qualifications such as MS, MBA, JD, CEcD or other relevant designations are helpful
- A strong command of Microsoft office products, Salesforce and/or other databases
Salary: Competitive, based on qualifications and experience
No in-person inquiries will be accepted for this position. Only online submissions will be accepted. To apply for this position, please upload cover letter and resume by visiting here.