Meet Joseph Cefalu
Organization: Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson, LLP
Tell us a little about your Baton Rouge Story. What brought you to Baton Rouge?
I was born and raised in Baton Rouge and attended LSU for undergraduate and law school. I now work downtown with the law firm of Breazeale, Sachse and Wilson, LLP. I lived away from Baton Rouge for a summer while studying abroad for law school, if that even counts as truly living away.
Tell us more about how you’re involved in Baton Rouge.
I am very involved with the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Baton Rouge. I am on the Board of Trustees and also co-founded Club Blue in 2014, which is the young professional affinity group of the Boys & Girls Club. Club Blue plans events with the Boys & Girls Club kids, such as an ice cream social, haunted house, and peanut butter and jelly lunch, as well as networking events for our membership. Club Blue also hosts a fundraising event in the spring for the Boys & Girls Club called the Great Futures Gala where we honor 15 young professionals who are community driven and achieving professional success. I am also on the Young Lawyers Council of the Baton Rouge Bar Association and serve as the Assistant Editor of the Baton Rouge Lawyer, among other committees within the BRBA. Additionally, last year I served as the Host Committee Chair for the Louisiana Art and Science Museum Gala.
What is your favorite thing about Baton Rouge?
The people and the potential. I have met many great, genuine people in this city at all stages of my life. I have also seen this city develop over the years from an employment, culinary, art and entertainment standpoint. I have high hopes for the future as it continues to grow.
What is your dream for Baton Rouge?
My dream for Baton Rouge would be that it becomes not just a city where people come to watch LSU games, but also a place where locals and travelers alike can enjoy a weekend, including indulging in great food and entertainment. I would also love to see us utilize the river front more and have more rooftop bars/hangouts. And, along with everyone else in the city, some solutions to our traffic congestion would be great.
How are young professionals like yourself shaping Baton Rouge?
I see more and more young professionals opening or starting new entertainment venues, restaurants, charity events, etc. Their enthusiasm to make Baton Rouge a better, more fun place, while also committing time to philanthropy, is refreshing.
What would you say to someone considering a move to Baton Rouge?
On any given night or weekend, there is always something to do in Baton Rouge. From food festivals to live music, to outdoor activities, you will never find a dull moment here.
What is your Baton Rouge favorite?
- Place to eat: Digiulio Brothers – great Italian food and atmosphere
- Place to hang out: Perkins overpass area or downtown bars after work
- Place to capture the perfect Instagram pic: My office has incredible views of the Louisiana State Capitol, Mississippi River and bridge, LSU and the city as a whole…is that a sad answer?
- Place to people watch: Live After 5
- Place to network: At the myriad of charity events around town
- Way to give back: Volunteer your time and donate if possible. Especially through the Boys & Girls Club! The Club provides after school and summer care to underprivileged youth in our area, and helps them achieve academic success, live a healthy lifestyle and practice good character and citizenship. It’s a worthy cause that I am proud to support.
- Event: The Great Futures Gala hosted by Club Blue benefiting the Boys & Girls Club. We have a live band, open bar, catered food and more!
With significant job growth, a bustling arts scene, delectable cuisine, abundant outdoor activities and more, the Capital Region attracts talent of all ages, including young professionals. Whether straight out of college or looking to establish their own business, more and more young professionals are choosing to lay their roots in Baton Rouge.
Each month, BRAC highlights one of these young Baton Rouge Area movers and shakers in the Young Professional Spotlight.