School’s out and summer is finally here! While students and teachers are rejoicing, some are wondering how to keep the kiddos entertained through the next few months. Thankfully, summer in Baton Rouge means fun for all ages:
- Kids grades K-5 can rock out with Kids Orchestra at its Strings Session from June 17-21 or its Winds & Percussion Session from June 24-28. Sounds fun, huh? Send in an application for your kiddo.
- Has your little one been flipping around the house since watching the LSU Gymnastics team all spring long? Sign them up for Elite Gymnastics summer camp sessions. Camps accommodate kids ages 3-15, so there’s fun for everyone.
- Do you have a kid that’s ready to explore the outdoors? Register now for resident camps at either the Girl Scouts’ Camp Marydale or Boy Scouts’ Avondale Scout Reservation. Girl Scouts accommodates girls entering 1st through 12th grade and Boy Scouts accommodates all boys registered in the Boy Scouts program.
- Still can’t find the perfect place for your little one? Check out BREC’s summer camps for kids all over the Baton Rouge Area.
Flavor of the Week: Getting Gourmet
Whether you’re looking to cater your next event or just want a delectable dish for lunch, Gourmet Girls has you covered. Owner Katia Mangham has been on the Baton Rouge event scene since the early 1990s. Her love for art and cooking came together when she launched her gift basket company, The Silver Spoon, while still in college. She later transformed it into a gourmet food shop and tea room. It was here that the idea for Gourmet Girls was born. Since then Katia has been whipping up new recipes for Baton Rouge’s events and even operates a small café and cooking lesson service. Her painted pastries and bright food displays are a hit at any party!
Snap a pic of your next gourmet meal and tag it with #thinkBR for a chance to be featured on the BRAC blog.
Workin’ It: Digital Account Executive
Cumulus Media is seeking a Digital Account Executive to join its team. The preferred candidate is tech savvy and proficient in seeking new clientele. The Digital Account Executive is responsible for gaining referral business, presenting client solutions, and learning clients’ businesses inside and out. A minimum of 1-2 years of outside digital media sales experience is required. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a related field are encouraged to apply. Cumulus Media offers competitive pay with uncapped earning potential as well as a 401K plan with a company match.
Visit www.cumulus.com/careers to submit a resume and employment application.
In the “Workin’ It” section of the newsletter we feature exciting job opportunities and/or professional organizations in the Baton Rouge Area. The positions featured are from companies who are BRAC investors and not necessarily positions at BRAC. For more information about BRAC’s talent development program or to advertise an open position, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My Baton Rouge: Bee Nice Music is the Bee’s Knees
Dave Mooney and Penni Guidry’s love for music sparked the idea of a personalized music venue right in their backyard. If you’re looking for live music that doesn’t start late at night, Bee Nice Music is a cozy spot that’s perfect in the spring or fall. Located in the Capital Heights area, Dave and Penni’s backyard has played host to musicians like Larry Garner, Yvette Landry, Steve “Juice” Judice, and many more. The free event brings together an eclectic array of musicians and audience members alike. Don’t forget to bring cash with you to support the artists at the end of their performances. Friends and family of all ages are invited to enjoy the backyard tunes of Baton Rouge!
A music scene that’s close to home, that’s my Baton Rouge.
In the “My Baton Rouge” section of the newsletter, we feature people or events that help tell the story of Baton Rouge. To submit an idea, email email@example.com.
Out on the Town
- Gonzales Jambalaya Festival, May 24-26, eat, drink, and be merry at this annual celebration in the Jambalaya Capital of the World
- Soul Food Festival, May 25-26, taste the soul of Baton Rouge at this second annual festival
- Bayou Country Superfest, May 25-26, dance all weekend long to country hits in Tiger Stadium
- HealthyBR Family Fit Day, June 1, bring the family out for a fun-filled day of health and fitness
For more local events, visit the Life in BR Events Page.